Call us on 01228 711888 Menu

Back to school and starting work?

Are you thinking about employing school children?

Until children reach the Mandatory School Leaving Age (MSLA) they can only work a certain number of hours per week and only do certain jobs.

Children are of compulsory school age up to the last Friday in June in the academic year of their 16th birthday.  After this they have reached the MSLA and they can apply for their National Insurance Number and work full time.

Employers must inform the education department of their local authority that they have employed a school-aged child.  If satisfied with the arrangements, the council will issue the child with an employment permit, if this is required by local byelaws.  A child is not insured without one.

Children do not need a work permit for work experience that his/her school arranges.

If you would like some confidential help or advice on any of the employment subjects mentioned, please  call 01228 711888.

Posted: September 20th, 2012

View previous years entries