Call us on 01228 711888 Menu

Do you have rights to graze common land?

If so, you may be entitled to claim more…

If you have rights on common land you could be entitled to claim more Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) payments.  Furthermore, you may also be entitled to up to six years’ back-pay from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA).

At one time farmers with commons rights would claim for hectares based on the number of rights they held.  However, the RPA have now recognised that the number of hectares should be in proportion to the rights actually claimed each year and in some cases this will result in a greater number of hectares being able to be claimed against.

If you have claimed payments between 2005 and 2009, and had spare entitlements at the time, you are may be eligible to submit a claim to receive your additional entitlements.  A list of eligible commons is available on the government website at

For more information on this, or for help with arranging a claim, contact Tom on 01228 711888.

Posted: October 27th, 2015

View previous years entries