Our Cumbrian Runners
Call us on 01228 711888 Menu

Our Cumbrian Runners

On Sunday 25th October, I took part in the Cumbrian Run Half Marathon.

This is the fifth year I have completed this and the previous four years have all had brilliant weather. However, not this year! It was freezing cold and very windy!

I ran alongside my sister this year for her first half marathon and although I kept pace with her for the first nine miles, she disappeared into the distance during the tenth mile and beat me! We both decided to run for Cancer Research UK and if anyone would still like to sponsor me then you still can here www.runningsponsorme.org/robertnordon
The run started at Carlisle Castle and carried on through the city centre before heading out through Cumwhinton, Wetheral and Scotby followed by Rickerby Park and Bitts Park then the finish on the Sheepmount running track.

With the last three miles against the wind, it was a massive relief to cross the line in 2h 35m.

Not my best time but I‘ll be back next year!
Robert Nordon
I also took part in the Cumbrian Run this year and agree, it wasn’t the best weather for running with the wind howling and the rain coming down sideways!! Nevertheless, it didn’t dampen my spirits as I warmed up to complete the 13.1 mile course.

I wasn’t as prepared as I could have been and the nerves kicked in as I crossed the start line. It took me a few miles to settle into a rhythm, but after that, the first 5 miles flew by. I was really enjoying it and even though the weather was awful, there were still people out with their brollies cheering us on.

I found someone to run alongside and I ran with her until we reached Brunton Park and she had a spurt of energy. As I passed the 11 mile mark in Rickerby Park, I hit the wall and seriously thought about stopping as every muscle in my body was screaming for me to give up. Luckily, there was Lucozade at the water station and it gave me a final push to get me to the finish.

As I finally crossed the line, I was surprised that it said 2:19 on the clock, as I expected to do it in around 2:30. I was really pleased with this time, and with the few minutes off at the start meant I did it in 2:17.

After the soreness had worn off, I’m thinking about doing it again and training properly so I can improve on my time.
Leanne Donald

Posted: October 30th, 2009

View previous years entries