Call us on 01228 711888 Menu

Tip of the week – Landlords – Possession of property

As a landlord you may own your property, however if you wish to gain possession of your property you must follow certain procedures.

Firstly you must give your tenant written notice that you want possession of the property, this can be done by using either a Section 8 or Section 21 Notice, the Notice you use will be dependent on your reason for wanting possession.

If your tenancy is coming to an end and you do not have to give a reason for wanting possession then a Section 21 Notice should be used.

If you have a specific reason for gaining possession of your property, such as statutory grounds for eviction like non-payment of rent or damage to the property, a Section 8 Notice should be used.

You cannot try and remove the tenant from the property by changing locks or throwing out their possessions – this is illegal.

To come to a swift conclusion you must use the correct procedure, especially if court proceedings are needed.  Please contact us if you need any more information, for help with possession of your property or problems with your tenants.

Posted: October 22nd, 2014

View previous years entries