Call us on 01228 711888 Menu

Whats your Contingency Plan

There may become a time when you have difficulty dealing with your affairs. This may be for practical reasons like being stuck abroad or it may be due to hospitalisation or ultimately a lack of capacity.

For these reasons, you can in advance, appoint other people, typically close family members to deal with your affairs and make decisions on your behalf.

The document used is known as a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) and there are two types. One deals with your property and financial affairs and another your health and welfare. 

Both documents are issued by The Office of the Public Guardian who also register the documents once completed.

If a person does not have an LPA and they become unable to deal with their own affairs The Office of the Public Guardian will decide who should act as “Deputy” and deal with such matters on your behalf, this may not necessarily be the person you would have chosen.

Setting up an LPA is better done sooner rather than later and the specialists at David Allen can help you with the process. For further information or advice contact Lucy Metcalf on 01228 711888.

Posted: November 2nd, 2012

View previous years entries